The Leibniz Institute for Regional Geography (IfL) in Leipzig/Germany kindly invites applications from highly qualified and motivated individuals for one
Researcher/Doctoral Student position.
Position 1 : Researcher/Doctoral Student (0.65 E 13 TV-L) for Studies in Francophone Countries
The project C05 is part of the DFG funded new Collaborative Research Centre (SFB) 1199 „Verräumlichungsprozesse unter Globalisierungsbedingungen [Processes of spatialisation under the global condition]“, together with Leipzig University. The positions are part of the research project C05 „Karten zur Globalisierung : Herstellung und Visualisierung von Raumwissen [Maps on Globalisation : Creation and Visualisation of Spatial Knowledge]“. The project considers types of production and reproduction of ideas and knowledge about “globalisation” through visualisations. For this purpose, (carto)graphical visualisations beginning from the 1860s will be analysed.
IfL is a non-university research institute with currently about 80 employees and member of the Leibniz Association. It is funded by the Federal State of Saxony and the Federal Republic of Germany within the joint research funding.
We offer :
- 65% doctoral position until December, 31st 2019
- good working environment and highly motivated project teams within IfL
- the opportunity to implement own ideas in the context of this research project
- a stimulating working atmosphere and collaborations in an interdisciplinary team of the collaborative research centre (SFB)
We expect you :
- to work with archives and conduct fieldwork in case regions, collection of material (maps, documents)
- to design and document collected data in object databases
- to analyse and interpret cartographical visualisations in consideration of globalisation theories
- to be willing for organisational and conceptual involvement within the SFB (including continuous discussion with other SFB subprojects and the Integrated Graduate School, co- organisation of workshops)
- to contribute to the establishment of an expert network
- to participate in international research visits and lectures
- to collaborate in the planning, organising, implementing and evaluating of group discussions with international experts in case regions
- to present and publish project findings on international conferences and in journals
- to complete a dissertation in the thematic field of cartographical visualisations and
Your profile :
- university education in social sciences (e.g. geography, cultural studies, political science)
- documentation of experiences working on the reflection and deconstruction of maps and
- graphical expressions (critical cartography)
- documentation of good knowledge and research experiences with qualitative methods
For position 1 : very good abilities in English and very good abilities in French
We expect independence of thought and actions, a high degree of initiative, implementation capacities, as well as the willingness to teamwork and innovate in the successful candidate.
For further information : Sebastian Lentz (email@example.com) Jana Moser (firstname.lastname@example.org)
IfL pursues the objective of gender equality in employment and has received the Total E-Quality rating for its commitment. For this reason, we particularly welcome applications by qualified women. In cases of equal suitability, preference will be given to people who are recognised as being severely disabled.
Please submit your complete application package together with a maximum one-sided sketch of an idea for a doctoral project as one pdf file under the heading “SFB 1199_C05 maps – position 1 ” by email to : email@example.com. The deadline for applications is 15 July 2016. Applications are welcome in English or German language.